1. Information We Collect and How We Use It
We may collect and store information about you in connection with your use of the Service, including any information you transmit to or through the Service. We use that information to provide the Service’s functionality, fulfill your requests, improve the Service’s quality, engage in research and analysis relating to the Service, personalize your experience, track usage of the Service, provide feedback to third party businesses that are listed on the Service, display relevant advertising, market the Service, provide customer support, message you, back up our systems, allow for disaster recovery, enhance the security of the Service, and comply with legal obligations. Even when we do not retain such information, it still must be transmitted to our servers initially and stored long enough to process.
Please also note:
1. Account Information:If you create a CommonShare account, we may store and use the information you provide during that process, such as your full name, email address, zip code, physical address, and other information you may provide with your account, such as your gender, phone number, and birth date. We may publicly display your first name and last initial, as well as any photo or other content you submit through the registration process, as part of your account profile. You can modify some of the information associated with your account through your account settings. If you believe that someone has created an unauthorized account depicting you or your likeness, you can request its removal by flagging it.
2. Public Content:Your contributions to the Service are intended for public consumption and are therefore viewable by the public, including your photos, ratings, reviews, lists, collections, and edits to business listing information. Your account profile (e.g., first name, last initial, city, month joined, profile photos) is also intended for public consumption, as is some of your other activity through the Service. You can limit the public nature of some of these activities through your account settings.
3. Communications:When you sign up for an account or use certain features, you are opting to receive messages from other users, businesses, and CommonShare. You can manage some of your messaging preferences through your account settings, but note that you cannot opt out of receiving certain administrative, transactional, or legal messages from CommonShare. For example, if you make an order request or request a quote from a business through the Service, we may send you messages about your transaction using the contact information you provide, including through automated SMS text messages to your phone number. We may also track your actions in response to the messages you receive from us or through the Service, such as whether you deleted, opened, or forwarded such messages.
If you exchange messages with others through the Service, we may store them in order to process and deliver them, allow you to manage them, and we may review and disclose them in connection with investigations related to use of the Service, as well as our efforts to improve the Service. We may not deliver messages that we believe are objectionable, such as spam messages, fraudulent solicitations, or requests to exchange reviews for compensation. If you send or receive messages through the Service via SMS text message, we may log phone numbers, phone carriers, and the date and time that the messages were processed. Carriers may charge recipients for texts that they receive. We may also store information that you provide through communications to us, including from phone calls, letters, emails and other electronic messages, or in person.
If you are a representative of a business listed on CommonShare, we may contact you, including by phone or email, using the contact information you provide us, make publicly available, or that we have on record for your business. Our calls with you may be monitored and recorded for quality purposes.
4. Transactions:If you initiate a transaction through the Service, such as a order, we may collect and store information about you, such as your name, phone number, address, email, and payment information (such as a credit card number and expiration date), as well as any other information you provide to us, in order to process your transaction, send communications about them to you, and populate forms for future transactions. This information may be shared with third parties, and third parties may share such information with us, for the same purposes. When you submit credit card numbers, we encrypt that information using industry standard technology. If you write reviews about businesses with which you transact through the Service, we may publicly display the fact that you transacted with those businesses.
5. Activity:We may store information about your use of the Service, such as your search activity, the pages you view, the date and time of your visit, businesses you interact and order requests you make through the Service. We also may store information that your computer or mobile device may provide to us in connection with your use of the Service, such as your browser type, type of computer or mobile device, browser language, IP address, WiFi information such as SSID, mobile carrier, phone number, unique device identifier, advertising identifier, location (including geolocation, beacon based location, and GPS location), and requested and referring URLs. We may also receive and store your location whenever our mobile applications are running, including when running in the background, if you enable our mobile apps to access such information in the course of using the Service. You may be able to limit or disallow our use of certain location data through your device or browser settings, for example by adjusting the "Location Services" settings for our applications in iOS privacy settings.
6. Different Devices:You may access the Service through different devices (e.g., your mobile phone or desktop computer) and different platforms (e.g., the CommonShare website or CommonShare mobile app). The information that we collect and store through those different uses may be cross-referenced and combined, and your contributions through one CommonShare platform will typically be similarly visible and accessible through all other CommonShare platforms.
Intended to make the Service work in the way you expect. For example, we use a Cookie that tells us whether you have already signed up for an account.
Intended to remember information about how you prefer the Service to behave and look. For example, we use a Cookie that tells us whether you have declined to allow us to send push notifications to your phone.
Intended to allow or prevent notices of information or options that we think could improve your use of the Service. For example, we use a Cookie that stops us from showing you the signup notification if you have already seen it.
Intended to help us understand how visitors use the Service. For example, we use a Cookie that tells us how our search suggestions correlate to your interactions with the search page.
You can set some Cookie preferences through your device or browser settings, but doing so may affect the functionality of the Service. The method for disabling Cookies may vary by device and browser, but can usually be found in your device or browser preferences or security settings. For example, iOS and Android devices each have settings which are designed to limit forms of ad tracking. For flash cookies, you can manage your privacy settings. Please note that changing any of these settings does not prevent the display of certain advertisements to you.
3. Third Parties
Third parties may receive information about you as follows:
2. Content Partners:We allow third party partners to use and display some of the public content available through the Service, such as your photos, reviews, and other information detailed inSection 1(b)above.
3. Service Providers:We may rely onthird partyproviders to support or provide some of the services that are available through the Service, such as certification and order requests. We may also rely onthird partyproviders to perform certain services for us in connection with your use of the Service, such as communications and hosting services, network security, technical and customer support, tracking and reporting functions, quality assurance testing, payment processing, our own marketing of the Service, and other functions. We may share information from or about you with thesethird partyproviders so that they can perform their services or complete your requests. Thesethird partyproviders may share information with us that they obtain from or about you in connection with providing their services or completing your requests.third partyproviders may also share this information with their subsidiaries, joint ventures, or other companies under common control. Some of our web pages utilize framing techniques to serve content to you from ourthird partyproviders, while preserving the look and feel of the Service. In such cases, please note that the information you provide is being provided to thethird party.
4. Aggregate or Anonymous Information:We may share user information in the aggregate with third parties, such as businesses that are listed on CommonShare and content distributors. For example, we may disclose the number of users that have been exposed to, or clicked on, advertisements. We may also disclose anonymized information about your use on CommonShare, for example if you engage in a transaction in connection with CommonShare, we may publicly disclose information about the transaction without providing identifying information about you or otherwise disclosing your participation in the transaction.
6. Businesses on CommonShare:We may share information from or about you (such as your age and gender), your devices, and your use of the Service (such as which businesses you bookmark or call) with businesses listed on CommonShare. You may adjust your account settings to increase or decrease the amount of information we share. Keep in mind that businesses may still see your public activity and posts, and may receive information from or about you when you transact or communicate with them, through CommonShare or otherwise, regardless of your settings (see Section 1 above). Additionally, if you make a request to a business through or in connection with your use of the Service, we may share information about your request with the business that the business would have received had you contacted them directly.
7. Investigations and Legal Disclosures:We may investigate and disclose information from or about you if we have a good faith belief that such investigation or disclosure: (a) is reasonably necessary to comply with legal process and law enforcement instructions and orders, such as a search warrant, subpoena, statute, judicial proceeding, or other legal process or law enforcement requests served on us; (b) is helpful to prevent, investigate, or identify possible wrongdoing in connection with the Service; or (c) protects our rights, reputation, property, or that of our users, affiliates, or the public, such as disclosures in connection with CommonShare’s Consumer Alerts program. If you flag or otherwise complain to us about content through the Service, we may share the substance of your complaint with the contributor of that content in order to provide an opportunity for the contributor to respond.
8. Links:The Service may link to third party services, like a business’s URL. Except as set forth herein, we do not share your personal information with them, and are not responsible for their privacy practices. We suggest you read the privacy policies on or applicable to all such third party services.
9. Third Party Accounts:If you sign up for, or log into, CommonShare using a third party service like Facebook or Google, or link your CommonShare account to your account with a third party service like Facebook or Twitter, we may receive information about you from such third party service. If you post content to a third party service through the Service, that third party service will also receive that content, which will be visible to anyone that has access to it through that third party service.
4. Controlling Your Personal Data
Other users may be able to identify you, or associate you with your account, if you include personal information in the content you post publicly. You can reduce the risk of being personally identified by using the Service pseudonymously, though doing so could detract from the credibility of your contributions to the Service. Please also note that the messages you send or receive using the Service are only private to the extent that both you and the person you are communicating with keep them private. For example, if you send a message to another user, that user may choose to publicly post it. Also, we may access and disclose such messages in the course of investigations relating to use of the Service.
5. Data Retention and Account Termination
The Service is intended for general audiences and is not directed to children under 13. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you become aware that a child has provided us with personal information without parental consent, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.orgIf we become aware that a child under 13 has provided us with personal information without parental consent, we take steps to remove such information and terminate the child's account.
We use various safeguards to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. However, no method of transmission over the Internet or via mobile device, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, while we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
CommonShare, Attn: Data Privacy Manager350 5th Avenue, Suite 7501New York, NY 10118
10. California Residents: Your California Privacy Rights
We do not disclose your personal information to third parties for the purpose of directly marketing their goods or services to you unless you first agree to such disclosure. If you have any questions regarding this policy, or would like to change your preferences, you may contact us at the address listed above inSection 8.